Monday, February 6, 2017

Jan van Rooyen

"The true beauty of music is that it connect people. It carries a message, and we, the musicians, are the messengers." -Roy Ayers

I had the absolute pleasure of meeting local violin maker Jan van Rooyen this past summer when I brought my violin into his shop, Gainesville Violins, for some much needed repairs and cleaning. Jan is the kindest man with incomparable patience and sincerity. I was able to get to know him a little more every time I came into his shop, and I soon discovered that there was so much more to him than most people knew. He so fortunately sat down with me one afternoon to answer what seemed like my million questions I had for him. I wanted to know how he started playing, where he learned to make violins, and what brought him to the states, since he spent the great majority of his life in South Africa. I am simply humbled that he let me capture a little fragment of his life's story. Please listen for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment