Thursday, February 8, 2018

Fueling "The Go"

First off, it's official! Here is my new, vamped-up blog! I mentioned that I wanted to expand my website in my last post, so here goes. Feedback is always much appreciated. :-)

On that note, I've been thinking a lot about my crazy schedule, and I wanted to breakdown how I fuel "My Go." Look at me, coining new phrases... Well, what's my trick? Do I obsessively count my macros and track my calories like a super mega fitness guru? NO. I've never found obsessing over food to be helpful for my body image or for my actual daily functioning.

However, healthy eating habits are still important. Choose foods that are high in nutrients (fiber, natural sugars, protein, etc.), and avoid processed foods if at all possible (fast food, pre-flavored packaged products, sodas, etc.). Since I exercise daily, typically an hourlong strength or HIIT gym session, I like to add in additional sources of protein to my diet to keep my energy up and my cravings down. I personally like pre-mixed Premier Protein shakes or Whey isolate protein powder shakes.

My lunch today! Empanadas, yellow rice with red beans
 and half an avocado.
As for my daily regiment, if you will, I typically start my day off with one of these protein shakes and sometimes some eggs or cereal if I have the time to prepare an actual meal that morning. I'll pack a granola or protein bar with me when I go to class just in case I get hungry and then I'll splurge a bit for lunch since this meal probably takes my the furthest in my day (through work and possibly an evening gym trip). I like to bring a BCAA drink with me to the gym for some extra electrolytes and muscle fuel. I finish off my day with a balanced dinner (chicken breast with quinoa/brown rice and some kind of veggie, or some variation of this meal). Since I have to stay up late a lot to do my homework for my classes, I definitely fall prey to the midnight munchies... If I can't kick my hunger, I'll go for another protein shake, some fresh fruit or huge bowl of popcorn and Cheez-Its. As long as your diet is balanced and you don't overeat one particular type of food, splurging is good and healthy!

Of course, these are just my regular eating habits, and I know this diet won't work for everyone. If anything, try to match what you consume with your activity level, and don't be afraid to go for that craving every once in a while!


No comments:

Post a Comment