Thursday, February 15, 2018

UF Symphony Orchestra presents spring concert

First, I just have to say how much different it is sitting in the audience of an orchestra performance than it is sitting on the stage actually performing. Of course, you might just say, "Duhh, Amanda," but there is more to this thought, I swear! Hear me out.

UF Symphony Orchestra poster.
I went to the University of Florida Symphony Orchestra's concert last Thursday night, and it was overall very enjoyable. The orchestra is composed of a mix of students, from graduate music majors
to undergraduate students who don't study music at all. Because of this, I think it's safe to say the orchestra has more hurdles to overcome as an ensemble because of the wide range of students and skill levels. I played in the orchestra for three years, so I know what it's like from the inside, too. It's difficult to put the complex repertoire together sometimes.

But on Thursday, the focus was definitely on the solo performances of the concert competition winners, Claire Tendl, soprano, and Pedro Che, piano. Claire dazzled everyone with some playful arias, and Pedro swept the audience away with an extremely virtuosic performance of Beethoven's Piano Concerto No. 5. The performances were so fantastic that I was on the edge of my seat, wishing I was up on stage playing along.

There were always be flaws in musical performances, but if you find a piece that you truly love, it doesn't matter. You forget about that and just fall in love with the music. I saw that kind of passion in some of the orchestra performers on stage, soloists and ensemble players alike. I'm happy I was able sit and enjoy the concert.


No comments:

Post a Comment