Monday, April 17, 2017

My junior recital is done!

I CAN BREATHE AGAIN!

Me and my family after my concert on Sunday evening.
Photo Credits: Terri Dennis
After three years of instruction from the oh so talented Dr. Janna Lower, I finally performed my junior recital at the University of Florida. As you all already know, I had some wicked nerves leading up to this performance. I put in countless hours of practicing and rehearsing with my pianist Alan Clark leading up to this concert, and it all came together yesterday evening on Easter Sunday.

Alongside Alan, we performed Vitali's Chaconne, Bach's Andante from his Sonata No. 2 in A minor, Kreisler's arrangement of Gluck's Melodie, and the first two movements of Franck's Violin Sonata No. 2 in A minor. It was a monster of a program but I am just so happy with how it all went. I was dreading how my nerves would affect my performance, but the second I walked out on stage, all of my nerves just melted away. I swear, it was a near miracle.

I was able to perform for some of my friends from the music school, some faculty members and some of my family members who both flew and drove into town for the concert. I was so humbled by all of the love I received, and I can't thank everyone enough for all of their support. Special thanks goes out to my teacher Dr. Lower, because she pushed me to be a better musician every day leading up to this performance.

Me performing in my junior recital concert on Sunday, April
16 in room 101 of UF's music building.
Photo credits: Miguel Maya
One thing I can say for sure is that although I am so happy it is all over, I am also so glad I was able to experience something like this; something so intimate and personal. I was able to share something I love with the people that mean the most to me and that means the world to me. That's what makes music and the arts so enjoyable. For a brief second or even minute in any performance, you are able to see the true heart of the performing musician. I hope that I have an opportunity to perform another concert like this in my future.

No comments:

Post a Comment