Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Mythbusting: let's talk money

Okay, so I have been posting consistently about events and artists I've come across, but I think its due time for some real talk. Mythbusting and talking about money...two of my favorite things! Absolutely joking right now, but you get my point.

I know that almost every person on this earth can appreciate art and music in some manner, but what about the people who want to be involved in it somehow? What about the people who want to make a career out of it? Is this possible financially?

The answer is yes! I came across this wonderful blog post by Drew Alexander Forde, a Juilliard graduate, who has been thriving in the social media music scene because of his innovative ways to break down the stigmas of classical music. He plays covers of popular songs occasionally and frequently collaborates with other artists, making music more accessible to people of all different backgrounds.

Nonetheless, Drew made a few great points in his post that are worth thinking about:
- The harder you work, the more likely you are to succeed.
- Not everyone can be a Grammy winning artist, but THAT'S OKAY.
- Look for fans and sponsors; a little bit of money can go a long way.
- Musicians make a lot of money through passive income.
- Seek out gigs, teaching opportunities, and ad revenue from YouTube.

And I have to say, even though I don't have 14,989 YouTube subscribers (*cough cough* Drew does... I might have 2 if I'm lucky), he makes some great points! For me, as a full-time student working part time at a TV station, I don't base my income entirely on music, but random things pop up throughout my semesters that do help bring in a little extra money each month.

So my advice is go for it! If you're worried that your art or music won't be able to support the lifestyle you want, start slowly. Try picking up more gigs while keeping a side job and see if anything sticks. Maybe you'll get a venue that loves you and keeps asking you to come back to perform. The only thing is you'll never know until you try!

No comments:

Post a Comment