Thursday, April 13, 2017

N-nn-nnnn-nerves and how to handle them

I am officially in countdown mode!! I have just three more days to go until my junior violin recital, and literally all I'm thinking about is how nervous I know I'm going to be. Not good.

So, since I am a perfectionist at heart, I did some research. I wanted to know exactly how to manage
my nerves, or at least learn a few remedies to help get rid of some of them. I came across an interesting article by Dr. Noa Kageyama titled "How to Make Performance an Asset Instead of a Liability," and I believe it has a lot of great pointers about how to mentally control nerves. So, let's break it down, for your sake, and mine.

Here's a stock photo of a stressed and nervous person for
your enjoyment.
Centering. Apparently, that's the key to it all. Kageyama says that centering is a pre-performance routine that was introduced by Olympic sport psychologist Dr. Don Greene to, essentially, channel your nerves in a productive way. So how exactly do we do this? According to the article, there are seven steps to centering:

  1. Pick your focal point
  2. Form your clear intention
  3. Breathe mindfully
  4. Scan and release excess tension
  5. Find your center
  6. Repeat your process cue
  7. Direct your energy
So as my countdown clock ticks on, I'm going to test out these techniques for mindfulness and stress reduction. I'll let you know how they turn out!

P.S. Here is my shameless self-advertising:
My junior violin recital!
Sunday, April 16, 2017.
5:30 p.m. in the music building at the University of Florida!
Room 101.

No comments:

Post a Comment